Thursday, October 6, 2011

My experience with Screenlets and Conky

Last few days I looking for some thing new for natty desktop after sysmonitor screenlet gave up on me. Well my options were
1. Running plasma under gnome.
2. Conky.
3. Continue with screenlets.

Well the first option I gave up soon as I saw how to get it running. Damn I'm not ready to give up Nautilus desktop to plasma :D. So next option was to try out was conky. Well it was not quit good experience to get it up and running. Since it didn't had a GUI to manage the widgets it was bit hard at first. Then I thought to give it up and update the existing screenlet installation using the PPA. Well again I though why I should I sacrifice my memory (since screenlet took nearly 9mb per each widget) I gave a another try on lovely conky. Well I must admit that I was enchanted by the lovely widget which was there on OMG and Davianart. It took less memory as well (around 2mb). Well going through the manual helped me alot. And nice thing is the concky script syntax was really easy to catch-up when compared to learning python :). It turned out to really nice once I did some changes in widget and ran it to see how it looks like. And chaging the script cause the widget takes changes instantly which is really great.
So I think I'll let go screenlets and stick with conky :)

No comments: